As chiropractors we see a lot of people that have been involved in a car accidents. A car accident is an unfortunate thing to go through and it is also very stressful. Not only do you have to deal with damage to your car but also you have to deal with insurances and your own injuries.
Here is a quick guide to help you know what to do if you are ever involved in an auto accident
1. Get immediate medical attention when necessary for emergency cases
2. Document, Document, Document- Get as much information as you can when possible before leaving the scene. Get the involved peoples information including names, license plate numbers, insurance information, etc. this will save you a headache in the long run. If there are witnesses get their information (name, phone number). They can help validate stories. Also take pictures of car damage and the scene. Lastly when possible get videos of the accidents whether that is from a dash cam or cameras from the car.
3. Get evaluated by a chiropractor, medical doctor, or other medical provider- Car accidents can cause a lot of damage to muscles, ligaments, bones, or other parts of your body. Studies have shown that symptoms may not show up until 48-72 hours after the accident occurred. It is important to get checked out as soon as possible in order to start the healing process as quickly as possible.
4. Receive necessary imaging- Depending on your condition your doctor may advise to get X-rays, MRIs, or other imaging or special tests to check on damage to parts of your body.
5. Receive necessary treatment- Car accidents can cause a lot of damage so it may take several months to years to recover. It is important to get proper treatment so that you can get back to 100%.
6. Get an attorney when needed- One trap that may happen is that insurance companies try to get you to settle early. The problem with this that you may require more medical treatment in the future. It is important to get an attorney in order for them to help you to know what you deserve for your case and they can help you receive the treatment you need.
I hope this helps anyone who may have been involved in a car accident. As always if you have any questions on treatment in our office to help you give us a call and we can help get to back to feeling as good as new!